Currently looking for new volunteers in all communities in the Fort McMurray APEGA Branch!
The Alberta Science Network is launching our award winning Scientists & Engineers-in-the-Classroom program in Fort McMurray. We are now looking for volunteers to deliver Alberta Education Science Curriculum linked classroom presentations to students and their teachers during regular school hours.
Scientists & Engineers-in-the-Classroom brings science to life for students through hands-on activities and accurate content. This exceptional program relies on outstanding volunteers from a wide variety of disciplines and associations such as APEGA. Volunteers offer interactive presentations at no cost to schools, and share their passion for science and engineering with the next generation.
When you volunteer with us you will have the opportunity to:
- Inspire the scientists and engineers of tomorrow
- Develop your presentation skills
- Enhance your resume
- Have fun - while getting kids excited about science!
With five individual curriculum topics per grade level, you are sure to find a topic that relates to your profession or interest. Teachers are most likely to need help with traditional science and engineering concepts and usually in grades 3 to 6.
Some examples are:
- Grade 3 - Building and Testing with a Variety of Materials
- Grade 4 - Wheels & Levers
- Grade 5 - Electricity & Magnetism
- Grade 5 - Classroom Chemistry
- Grade 6 - Air & Aerodynamics